Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Review #3: Bard's Gold Original Sorghum Malt Beer

I'll admit; I was a bit hesitant to try this beer. It's got quite a few horrible reviews on Beer Advocate. Most gluten-free beers I've seen there do, though. But when someone says,
"When your beer is so bad that it causes you to cough and gag because of the flavor, you know something's wrong."
Or,
"This by far is the worst tasting beer we ever had. We both couldn't spit it out quick enough."
 ...I'm bound to be a little scared. However, I think these two were being a bit dramatic.

Bard's Gold is made by Bard's Tale Beer Company, and claims to be the original sorghum beer. It's a American lager that sits at 4.6% ABV, though I had to go to their website to find the latter - it's not printed on the label. I poured the Bard's into a conical pint glass. It had a small white head that disappeared shortly after pouring. Clear amber color with lots of carbonation.

It has a slightly sweet, earthy smell, with a bit of, well... that ocean smell.The taste is watery and hard to find past all the bubbles. I'm getting bitterness, with a definite bitter aftertaste, and a little bit of saltiness. There's also kind of a toasty grain flavor in there.

Overall, this beer is okay. Kind of boring. Nothing I'd throw away, but not anything I'd buy again either.

No comments:

Post a Comment