Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Review #2: Crispin The Saint Hard Apple Cider

The Saint is made by Crispin Hard Cider Company. It is from their Artisanal Reserve line, and boasts the addition of Belgian trappist yeast and organic maple syrup. I'll admit, I've had this cider a handful of times in the past, and it's one of my favorites. Today, I bought one specifically so that I could write a review for my readers. :)

The Saint comes in a 22oz bottle sitting at a hefty 6.9% ABV. It is made from unfiltered and fermented apple juice, which is what gives it the cloudy appearance you see in the photo above. The cider has a deep golden yellow color and is moderately carbonated with no head. It has a subtle yeasty smell right after opening that goes away after sitting a bit. 

The Saint has a complex flavor that is well-balanced and unfussy. It is a bit winey at the start, finishing with a fresh apple flavor. It is crisp on the palate with a bit of a tang. My only complaint is that I can't really taste or smell the maple syrup in it.

This cider is not too sweet, something I definitely appreciate. The Saint is easy to drink, delicious from beginning to end, and packs a little punch with its higher alcohol content. Overall, this cider is a win in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment