Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

About Me (or, Why Gluten-Free Brews?)

Hi, I'm Hilary. I'm a student living in Washington state and I've been following a gluten-free diet since February 2012.

After years of feeling sick and tired, dealing with fatigue, gastric issues, skin issues, and headaches all the time with no apparent cause, I stumbled across an article online that hinted that gluten could be the cause of my health problems. I thought, "what have I got to lose?" and I immediately switched over to a gluten-free diet. I felt a great difference to my health within the first month. Since then, I've done some experimenting with foods and my diet. My body's reaction to wheat and gluten is unpleasant to say the least, so I prefer to live without it. I've been tested for Celiac disease, but since I was not eating wheat at the time, my results came up negative. Eating gluten-free is a little tougher, but the difference I feel daily makes it worth it for me.

Before I went gluten-free, I enjoyed sampling new beers and learning to enjoy the different flavors I found. Realizing I couldn't have beer anymore was a real downer! I tried a couple gluten free beers but was unimpressed with most, and forgot about drinking beer for a while.

However, after finding an great little beer store in my town with an awesome selection of gluten-free beer and cider, I thought I'd give gluten-free brews a try again. This blog will contain my reviews of gluten-free beer and cider. Hopefully my reviews will be helpful to others who follow gluten-free diets, have Celiac disease, or who are just interested in trying a new drink.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment