Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Review #10: Clos des Ducs Premium Hard Cider

Clos des Ducs is a fermented apple cider from Brittany, France. It has 5% ABV and comes in a 11.8oz/330ml bottle. It does not have any added sugars, but appears to have had its sweetness bumped up from the addition of concentrated apple juice. I enjoyed this cider from my usual pint glass.
Appearance: Pours a cloudy dark orange with a small amount of whitish fizz on top. The dark color was fairly surprising. My photo makes it appear clearer and lighter than it was. I'm still working on my lighting and photography
Smell: Apples, straw, must, sweet fruit, plenty of apple peel smell on the nose.
Taste: Sweet, juicy apple. Slightly astringent. It leaves the taste of yeast on the back palate, but finishes sweet.
Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated and thick.
Overall: I liked this cider. It reminds me of a slightly more complex Martinelli's, the taste of which brings to mind Thanksgivings at home with my family. My final verdict is that it's not bad, but nothing terribly exciting either. I think there are more interesting ciders out there, but I enjoyed sampling this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment